Saturday, January 18, 2014

BABY STEPS IN THE KITCHEN



There's no simple way to live your life with the billions (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit) a thousand restrictions on what you can and cannot eat, should and should not eat, and what is good for you and what will hunt you in your nightmares and scar you for dear life.

As a parent of a Type 1 Diabetic, I feel as if I don't even know what to cook anymore. I've tried the diets, the low carb, no carb, gluten free, and flavor free. Somehow no matter what I try, I end up gaining lots of weight. (Shhh, maybe it's the chocolate cookies hidden on the top cabinet) Anyways, I'm super frustrated and I feel like I don't even know how to cook anymore. Walking down the aisles in the supermarket with my weekly meal plan has become a very hateful task. Food prices have not only soared but man, what is out there that won't make those glucose levels go so high, they turn into astronauts and want to explore outer space.


So, it's without shame that I share I am in my baby steps in the kitchen again. There's no fear in saying, "I want to learn something new." I've already started getting some great feedback from friends in TuDiabetes.org. Friends have reached out with some ideas and even my daughter has pointed me to some great sites. Here's my dilemma. I'm a visual, hands on learner. I'm not great with learning with a cook book, (get bored immediately) but if you share with me, It's easier. I'm ready to learn- baby steps.



So, if you're going to share, make the steps as if we're in the kitchen together, (some great music to dance to on) and talk to me like I'm there with you. The doctor is starting to believe my son is insulin resistant. This has been an idea for some time. Before putting him on a different medication treatment, I said, "Let's try something first." 



I am excited to try something new! So, Here's my plan:

1) Meal changes (with new meal ideas)

2) Pray and believe God will use the new meals to bring an improvement in his numbers

3) Increase the activities (Yes, for me, too!)

So, here the adventure begins. The kitchen becomes the classroom and I am looking forward to good times, mistakes, and experimenting what works and what doesn't. For those of you that already shared meal ideas, I will begin this week and will do my best to post how it goes with my son's eating and sugar levels.





This is what High Blood Sugar Feels like for a Diabetic. So you see, imagine your son or daughter, your brother or sister, parent or friend, going through life feeling this way. Someone once described high blood sugar as the worst hangover you can imagine but you can't get it to go away. I can't even begin to imagine what that's like.

So, I look forward to sharing with you as our new adventure begins. I'm going to take it slow, trying a little change here and there. A lot of changes, all at the same time will not work, but gradually adding and changing sounds good to me. Above all, if this is your family situation too, I pray that you too can take a leap of faith and try something that will be a blessing physically for your loved ones. 

Thank you in advance and God bless you greatly!

#type1diabetes #diabetes #diabeticchild #juvenilediabetes #t1d #highbloodsugar #insulinresistant #novolog #highglucose #sick #diabetis #azucaralta #lowcarb #lowcarbmeals #healthy #healthyfood #newmeals

No comments:

Post a Comment