Thursday, August 29, 2013

Issues With Insulin Pump and Some Helpful Advice



Frustration Station
Okay. First, let me tell you that I know how frustrating it is when you place the paradigm on your child, or yourself, and a few minutes or hours later, it comes out. Magically or accidentally, there are no words to describe the anger, I guess , of knowing you have to replace it. Perhaps the worst part is when you're outdoors, on vacation, in the playground or at work or school, and it comes out. Once it happens one time, you learn to never leave home with extras, just in case.


Research
Well, I decided to research on how to keep it on the skin and I got very few good results. I ended up talking to some people as well and rarely anyone had any answers. Even the doctor and diabetes educator were sort of unable to provide the kind of answers I felt satisfied with. I think the only place I received some help in the right direction was when I called Medtronics and shared what my son was going through with the paradigm coming out due to poor sticky piece. ( I really hope they improve the sticky part soon)


Here's what I've learned and how I get it done:

Clean area really well. Sweat and dirt will not only create possible infection, the area will not be ready for anything to stick and it will come out. 

Prepare the skin (site) 
Do this by using ReliaMed Protective Barrier Wipes. It looks like an alcohol swipe but instead it moistens the area with sticky, gluey wetness to prepare area.

Protect
Cover the area by using Teraderm +Pad. It's a clear film that will not hurt your child when you remove it the way the covering of an IV hurts and pulls off the hair. It's great for when your child is playing sports.


Paradigm
Paradigm Sure T Infusion Set (Stainless Steel) was recommended to our son this year by his diabetes educator to see if it helped during football season. I think the needle insert is perhaps too short because it keeps coming out. I like the double sticky part that creates a safe space in case the site is accidentally pulled off. A few times, students in my son's class attempted to maliciously pull on the line. This extra is supposed to provide protection for the site in case it is pulled out. It's a personal choice. I prefer the plastic paradigm and will be returning to that one. My son's experience is that maybe the other one sticks on better and longer.

Skin Tac
I read about something called Skin Tac Adhesive Barrier Wipes. The reviews were that is sticks, but the negative reviews were that it sticks so well that it sort of rips of the hairs and skin. Well, I don't want to put my child through anymore unnecessary pain. So, I guess this one if for you to try out since I chose not to try it. 


Hang in There
Hope everything works out for you. I just replaced my son's site and used the Tegaderm 3m to cover site area. I'm working and want him covering himself and keeping those levels under control while I'm away. Hugs to parents out there looking for better management solutions. Don't give up or be discouraged. We will support each other and get through this together.






#medtronic #diabetes #pump #diabetespump #diabetesmanagement #insulindependent #pumpadhesive #tegaderm #barrierwipes #diabeticchild #type1diabetes #insulinpump #diabetescare #paradigm #tudiabetes #diabeticsmom #diabeticjournal

No comments:

Post a Comment