Monday, July 29, 2013

MOM ON THE PS3



I look around and see endless things to do. From a new set of dishes and pans to wash, to beds that haven't been made. It seems these endless chores keep reappearing like magic once I check them off my list as done. Then, Poof, the kitchen sink is full again, the beds are undone and the bathroom is crying for cleaning.


Getting caught up in the madness of daily cleaning is not only exhausting, it leaves little time for anything else. My addiction is books. The kids know when I'm really tired because I won't even have time to read. So, yeah, the house is going to wait today and I'm going to take some time with my son. He's playing alone and although my skills are sort of "forever beginner", I will attempt to play Call of Duty with him. 

Boy, do I stink at this game! I can't get the soldier to even go forward without looking all around. I end up staring at the sky then the ground, then "BOOM!" I'm shot and I'm dead! I apologize for being the worse player on this team effort and promise to try again. I move forward and try to be smooth. I get through the mall and later into the airplane. I shoot but hey, I'm shooting all over and I can't aim at all. I aim and fire but I'm shooting at the sky and then at the same side of wall until, you got it, "BANG!" shot down and dead for like the hundredth time.

Was it worth it to leave the house work on standby for some time? Absolutely!!!!
I can't begin to tell you how much my son, Jacob, laughed when I was trying to play. He had a blast just watching my reactions and my continued attempts to be at least a little bit of help. We had a great time playing together. 

I'm not telling you that playing Call of Duty is what I recommend you to do with your child. Maybe you are not okay with this kind of game and that's fine. But, there has to be some kind of game you can play with your child. Regardless if it is on a PS3 or on the floor playing Twister, there is always something we can play with them. 


I remember my mom would take a pen and fill a page with hundreds of dots, neatly organized in lines. She'd then teach us to connect the dots one a time. Whoever closed the square would write their initial on the inside and then have a second turn. When the entire page was filled up with squares and initials, we'd count the initials and the one with the most letters for their name won.


I also remember my dad would always have a deck of cards. He not only made learning math fun, he also taught my brothers and I, along with mom, to have family time with cards. It's not the amount of money we spend on our children, but the amount of quality time we invest in building our relationship with them.


What does this have to do with my child being a diabetic?

 Nothing and everything.
Children that face living with sickness and certain disability have enough on their plate every day. Shouldn't we as parents find it in our time to make their days buckets of sunshine each day? Don't you believe it is our duty to find ways to get their minds off of their situations and into something better, like laughing at mom or dad make a fool of themselves at a game? 


I'm not great at any game on the PS3. But, if you invite me to a game, I rarely say, "No." I want to inspire you to use games in your family time to change the atmosphere after having to give injections, change a site, or give your child the medical treatment they need that day. Use games and don't be afraid to be a clown when it is time to check your child's blood glucose, blood pressure or change their bandages. Be a sport and have some fun with your child. At the end of the day the truth is this, the sink will always remind you of dishes to wash, the rooms will always need attention and the broom will always call you to come and dance away. But your child will not be little forever. They have memories that need to be filled with a lot more than discomfort and pain. I hope these words motivate you to join your child in some fun this week! Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment