Wednesday, December 4, 2013

It's Not Your Fault



     Who am I writing to? You may ask. To anyone who has ever said, "It's my fault." To everyone that has felt "I'm to blame." and perhaps, to myself. To myself for speaking and writing those words on a block of cement and then keeping it with me, in my bag, at my side, near my bed, and in my mind for a very long time. I'm writing to you, mom or dad, who is that hospital room trying to make sense of the diagnosis the doctors just gave your child. I'm speaking to you, dear parent, who just took your child home for the first time and now you are on your own without doctors and nurses and you have to provide for your child's needs and you feel helpless.

You carry a great weight on your back and in your heart because you are angry, you're afraid, and uncertain of what the future holds. "I'm to blame!" 
You cry out into the emptiness of your bedroom. You cringe at the thought of having to say, "My child has Type 1 Diabetes" and instead you call it the "D" word because the nausea and the headache that accompany the news you've just heard push you helpless to the ground.




But, it's not your fault. It is not mine. Yes, we feel hurt and we have a billion questions we zoon into the heavens. You ask, "Is this a punishment for my sin?" And you try to understand what the doctors and caretakers are speaking but everything is a big blur in front of you.

So, get up from that seat of condemnation and guilt.
Rise up from that bed of discouragement and fear. Lift yourself up and strengthen yourself, encourage yourself, and see your strength and your courage as the tools that will get you and your child through this new journey in your lives. 




You can get up and win this fight!
You have a child that is waiting for you to guide him or her.
You have a child that doesn't know what to do next, but you do. And even though it hurts you when you have to inject your child, if you don't do it, who will? 
Your child's life, survival and ability to go on is in your hands. They are looking at us. They are waiting.

So, dear mom, no more fear and no more guilt!
Rise up and be the awesome parent you have been blessed to be. Take your place in this battle and defeat the enemy of depression, guilt, anger and hopelessness.



I'm cheering you on from where I sit writing to you. I've been there feeling the way you are feeling today. I too had to hear the horrible news. But, you and I have to go on for our child. Raise your hands in victory because you can do this!




If there is anything I can help you with, let me know. We can get through this together. You are not alone.

I've surrendered my life and my son to the Lord in heaven. God, your Word says You will never leave or forsake us. Take care of these parents that have just gotten the news that their child has Type 1 Diabetes. They need your loving arms around them right now. Take care of this family. In Jesus name, Amen.

#type1 #diabetic #diabetes #juvenilediabetes #family #sickness #healing #encouragement #prayer #diabetico #thedword #notalone #helpless #hopeless #angry #frustrated #guiltyparent #guilt #gulity #badnews 


No comments:

Post a Comment