Friday, August 2, 2013

Numbers, Recipes, and Research

          #DiabetesType1 #Diabetesmanagement #Childrenwithdiabetes #parentofdiabeticchild #diabeticrecipes #diabeticresearch #diabetesliving




Diabetes is not who my son is. Diabetes is not in control. The cure is not here yet, but I have faith it is on the way. Until then, I continue to believe, God is his healer. Here are our small moments of our day together or small discoveries.





NOT JUST A NUMBER
I love chocolate chip ice cream, walks in the park on a colorful, fall day, and a great story. But, you know what I love the most? It's that moment when I can check my son's glucose level and get a good number. Now, I know many parents and doctors say a number is just a number. The truth is that those numbers add up to what later becomes the AlC number. And when that average is high, it shows poor control and really, it's just a signal to work harder to get those levels controlled, as if that is always really possible. You may say, "It is. I've been doing it." And well, I'm happy many of you succeed at keeping those numbers on the good side.  But, it would seem unfair to categorize everyone in the same way and place every Type 1 Diabetic in the same box. 



It's Going to Get Better
I believe there are good days and there are the not so good days. There are days when we celebrate everything going our way and then there are those days that show up to challenge what we thought we were doing well and the surprise shows up out of no where. Numbers increase without a warning, without eating anything specific, and what do you do? You learn to work with these moments of frustration because I don't think they will ever completely disappear. Sickness and stress can play a huge factor on the changes in sugar levels. We can't live our lives playing the blame game because what matters here is how will we continue to work to make it all better?



Sharing Recipes
I've been working on changing more and more how I cook for my son. Boy is it hard when you are used to the rice and beans. Carbs, carbs and more carbs. But, I am praying and asking the Lord to teach me to do something new. I want to cook healthier for all of us. I know it's hard, especially when you're on a budget and groceries just keep getting more expensive. The Lord will make a way. He knows our needs. Let me share some recipes that I've tried and my daughter has prepared as well.


 For Recipe, Click Here: Avocado Chicken Salad


For Recipe, Click Here: Fiesta Pepper Steak


Some of the Latest Research:
There are some new ideas being played around in the world of research. I thought I'd share two. You might be familiar with them. You can read them in your spare time if you wish.

Nanotechnology Could help fight diabetes

Genetic Studies treatment for type 1

I hope this was helpful in some way. I'd love to hear from other parents and know what is working for your child. 
For more information on our journey, write with comments or questions. You can email us at Diabetic Mom's Journey.

Until next time, continue to believe that God has something great for you each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment